Ignoring the last post's discussion on nerves...
I am still INCREDIBLY nervous. Like. So much so that this ain't gonna be a witty post...
| Not my gif! |
Suitcase is pretty much packed. The last few bits and pieces I'm gonna need over the weekend so for now they shall remain where they belong. THE FLOOR. Secondly, pretty much all the admin stuff is now sorted. Though, (slightly concerned): I discovered a list online of cool stuff the university planned to send to newcomers over the last few months, including stuff like how to access the email account, how to settle in, a free t-shirt, etc.; all the usual WELCOME TO YOUR NEW HOOOOME~ kinda stuff that some friendlier uni's send out. Which all sounded awesome. I, however, have not received any of it... Which makes me a little concerned. Partly because an expired address was somehow still being used. A-hem. Which was probably my fault. But then, I live in England, and posting to and from countries can be tedious and expensive...and I received none of the earlier listed to-post items soooo I might be good. I'm trying to reassure myself that all that stuff probably wasn't intended for me anyway, seeing as how I'm neither a first-year nor American. So I'm gonna assume all the stuff for me is over email and that. is. it. But you know how these things go. Plus, that t-shirt sounded cool... /all the free things, plz? So I'm gonna assume none of that was meant for me. Also I found that list by complete accident. //JOIN ME IN MY SURFING~
On getting things mostly finished...
Of course, it's always awkward trying to contact people who are not only in another institution but are also in another country and another time-zone. But all the people I've thus far contacted have been lovely and helpful and most of them replied within a day which is good! Thanks to their help, all the admin stuff is largely sorted out...and the last few things are in the process of being finished, so I should start relaxing... SHOULD. As for courses...? I plan on making a hand-written list of courses that sound cool/relevant/neat. Presenting them. And then get told which I can and cannot take. Unlike a lot of other people I know, I was told early-days not to enrol online so... I feel more than a bit blind about what I'll actually be studying there. Which is partly why I'm very nervous, aside from the whole away-in-another-country-for-a-year-thing. But I suppose that was one less stress, and I'll get help in person. Which, after all the stuff you have to do for uni's, is sometimes a god-send. Of course, half the courses I pick are also to be free choice. So one half, theoretically, will be American and English Literature (which is my degree at home), and the other half, I HOPE, might be something along the lines of theatre and/or film studies (subjects I have a great passion in but have never actually got to academically study...and I desperately want to...especially the former!). That's if I'm permitted them, of course. (I'm trying to keep my choices more MAYBE-ish in my head. If it turns out I can't for whatever reason it saves my first few weeks being tinged with ~CRIPPLING DISAPPOINTMENT~) And they also slightly depend on whether my uni back home is cool with them. Both are technically academic - at least at the university back home they certainly are... *formulating argument for choices already, I see?*
Some awesome news though, which I need to read more into but at the moment seems pretty damn useful, yadda-yadda, is that there are buses that run to and from the campus to Boston and the airport. Likewise, there seems to be buses that go to the other universities/colleges in the city, and then to various popular destinations, like the local mall. Which will be a huge help to someone who doesn't drive even in her home country. Secondly, these buses run from a weekly to bi-weekly schedule which means I could use them to help me travel to other destinations, which might require me getting to the airport first. PLANS. THEY ARE FORMULATING? Lord knows how much I want to travel...
Final thoughts...
I don't know when I'll next have internet access after this weekend. Maybe sporadically. Maybe not until I get to Clark. Hopefully, I'll be having a good enough time exploring that I won't need the internet anyway! Until then, fingers crossed everything goes to plan. See you on the other side...
| Not my gif either! |
Post-Script:
I have another blog, don't'cha know~! It's up online and has been for months, but it's currently empty and thus I won't link to it yet. I am hoping to start a review blog and when I have time, and the right state of mind, I plan on reviewing things. YES. Updates on the blog will also be mentioned here. Planned future entries will be about the A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels, and the recent Shakespeare adaptations by the BBC: The Hollow Crown. I shall post links to these when completed on this blog. The blog will also contain thoughts on genre and occasional entries on specific subjects. It will cover literature, film and television as well as any theatre I manage to see. But for now: WATCH THIS SPACE. :D
-G~

No comments:
Post a Comment