You don't know me...

My photo
[North Yorkshire / Massachusetts]
I don't know how you got here. I truly don't. 20 y/o. Female. Sagittarius. Avid film fan to an almost rabid degree. Serious bookworm. Science fiction aficionado. Cult television follower. Aspiring author. Oddly vague. Capslock over-user.

Thursday, 9 August 2012

Last Few Days!

The nerves...

Yep. I'm definitely in the pessimistic stage of transition to another country. Yep. 

I get asked if I'm excited about going (a lot) and for good reason. I am. I am very, very excited about going to the States. I'm not an unfeeling robot. And I definitely don't want to take the experience for granted. I know lots of people going and I know lots of people whose course didn't provide a third year abroad. So, yeah, I am excited I get to study in America. With Americans. In an American university. ~IN AMERICA~ But I'm also super nervous about it. Like SUPER!NERVOUS. I'm in the OH GOD MY STOMACH stage of transition. 

I get weirdly morose about leaving. But about the oddest things. Like the fact that I didn't have time to re-watch that dvd box-set. Or that I didn't read that book I got at Christmas. Or that I can't bring some of my stuff so going abroad is gonna seem really weird without, say, my lamp. YEAH. I get morose about the fact that I can't bring my lamp. I don't even...

So what's the point of this post? I don't know. I suppose I want to highlight for future travellers or my fellow ones in the same boat, that going abroad isn't always EASY-EASY. Aside from the stresses of obtaining tickets and visas and contacting universities and the homesick feelings that hit nearly everyone at some point, you can also get weirdly down about stuff you're really looking forward to and are actually really chuffed about. It's an odd state of mind. And I can't offer much reassurance at this point to others who feel similarly. So in apology here's a cute picture of a seagull that I took. 

LOOK AT THE CUTENESS.

Partly, this blog is to chronicle what stuff I experience in the US. But it's also a travel blog and for me travelling, even travelling I've always wanted to do, is met with some SAD-FACE. This isn't a feel-sorry-post. OH NO. This is a I'M TOTALLY EXCITED...but y'know... sort-of-post. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this. Likewise, I try not to dwell on the missing ACTUAL PEOPLE thing. A lot of my friends at university are from outside the department I'm in and so when I return to my current uni next year they'll have graduated. But hopefully this year will have made me realise that the UK is stupidly small anyway, and I really ought to travel more at home too. So friends, I shall find you. Liam Neeson-style. /only less threatening. And more armed with tasty food and maps.

-G~

No comments:

Post a Comment