You don't know me...

My photo
[North Yorkshire / Massachusetts]
I don't know how you got here. I truly don't. 20 y/o. Female. Sagittarius. Avid film fan to an almost rabid degree. Serious bookworm. Science fiction aficionado. Cult television follower. Aspiring author. Oddly vague. Capslock over-user.

Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Kindle Help - International Travel Blues

A super-srs post about srsbsns...

I found that my post about Kindle use when abroad was relatively popular so here's a head's up! When I first arrived in the States, naturally one of the first things I wanted to do was start downloading some of the novels required for my literature classes. My first hurdle was that I had not yet set up the wireless connection to my Kindle (which, admittedly, is still shaky here - in part due to the system in use here, not the device), I needed to transfer my files manually. Some of the problems I experienced, oddly different each time, were things such as:
  • The file appeared incompatible;
  • It wouldn't automatically transfer (due to wireless connectivity but also manually);
  • I got errors about the ownership of the book file...
I managed to get some files working BY CHANCE but it was a lot more awkward this time around. After some looking online, I found that there is a simple reason why this headache occurs...

Picture does not belong to me!
Used for illustration purposes only!


International laws strike again!

Anyone who has a love of dvds or video games should know enough about international region coding; incredibly prevalent in dvds (I won't explain video games but look it up, it's kinda the same issue...). Simply put, these regions govern where the dvds can be used and sold. In England, we use Region 2. In America, it's Region 1. Therefore, in our respective countries, the other's dvds won't work. Regions are shared between many countries, not always based on geographical closeness (Japan shares England's region code, for example). This is a headache for movie/tv fans who want to import dvds of their favourite foreign shows which may not yet be imported (OH HOW I WISH I COULD BUY PARKS AND RECREATION...) Why all the talk of dvds? Well, the same thing often applies when downloading (this happens when you try and buy American downloads from the US itunes when in the UK). As such, you will experience difficulty when trying to use files downloaded from amazon dot co dot uk. The device will probably be linked to England as well, with an English address, and a top hat and a monocle, etc. What I recommend you do in this situation is to go onto the English amazon site and take a look at the 'Manage Your Kindle' section. Somewhere there you will find it will invite you to go to the American site. Do so. The site will automatically transfer your files across to the US site and from there you will use your Kindle. Your whole account will be copied across to avoid re-registering annoyances...but your UK account will also remain untouched.

Now I'm not saying this is a fool-proof way...

...but this is what solved the issue for me. Of course, technology is never NOT a pain so my apologies if the problem is not solved through my vague recommendations. The site's FAQ is big enough that you might find where the fault lies but in my case it was a desire for the device to transfer to the American site so it can download files without fuss. And it has worked. This is also a problem you may find in buying music from the site. You will not be able to download music from amazon UK when in the USA due to DUN DUN DUUUN international laws. So again, use your American site for this. You still have both sites, remember! Both you can order ~actual material goods~ on, but unfortunately downloads are still a bit of a mess regarding usability when abroad. For music, I find that it's still an issue, though I'm not sure why - but found that when buying, you can choose the option to send the album, say, to oneself as a gift which seems to bypass any confusion the player might have. Don't worry though you're still paying for it and if you're in the US you SHOULD be able to download the music, but the system does get confused from time to time, and this can help if you JUST GOTTA get that Taylor Swift album! D:< *Granted this may have been a temporary glitch*
If you do experience any problems, do check their FAQ and around the web. They are helpful. I'm just sharing my own headaches and letting you know how I worked through them.

My Kindle works awesome now. I'm currently reading Evelina and it's surprisingly good. 

It's no Pamela, thank goodness.

PS: Setting up a wireless connection in your new permanent internet access will be a big help for you to avoid manually finding files and putting them on. 
PPS: To find files and manually put them on go onto the site, click 'Manage Your Kindle,' look down at your recent downloads which should be listed, then access a little drop-down menu next to each one in 'Other Actions.' Click the 'transfer USB' option and this should work. Else try and find the file in your computer and do the ol' copy and paste method. If required, I can do a post about this in the future, but lots of people have written on this subject so go take a look! ...Oh yeah, make sure you have the USB cable with you. Obviously.
PPPS: I use 'England' a lot here - my Yorkshire roots are showing! - and by that I mean, THE UNITED KINGDOM. Sorry, Scottish/N.Irish/Welsh friends! D: Y'all know what I'm mean.

-G~

No comments:

Post a Comment